Thursday, April 29, 2010

Our Haitian Staff


Beniel, age 21, manages Camp Hope which now cares for 1,000 people.

Mission, also in his twenties, helps to manage the daily activities at Terrain Acra, helping to care for over 25,000 people.

Beniel, Mission, Frank (the teacher I mentioned a few days ago), and so many others – these are the people that are rebuilding Haiti. They are our local staff, and they work every day in unimaginable conditions to restore hope for people who have lost all they’d known before January 12th.

I never knew what partnership and sustainability really meant until this trip. On a theoretical level, I got it. On a real, and very human level, I was clueless. When we say that we give people the tools they need to rebuild their lives, we honestly mean it! And in the midst of all the pain and fear, it is a truly beautiful thing to see. Each of our local staff that I’ve had the opportunity to meet are leaders. They’re the kind of people you want on your side because when you’re around them you feel like things really will get better, and they’ll be the ones to make it happen.

By the way: BBC World Service was at Terrain Acra today. Check out their blog about the visit at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/worldhaveyoursay/2010/04/whys_in_haiti.html#210759#more

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jenna, Your dad told me where you were and I said what is she doing there and he told me about your job. Very proud of you I didn't know about your job. 110 heat index hey its 60 and that seems cold. Boy I wish what you are seeing first hand is something I could do. Stay safe Juddly

    ReplyDelete