Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Plane to Santo Domingo

I got on a plane yesterday afternoon headed for the Dominican Republic to join our relief team that's helping people in Haiti. I'm sure you've been paying atttention to everything happening in Haiti since the huge earthquake hit. People are hurt and need medical attention. People need shelter, their homes have been destroyed. And they need food and clean water. We're helping.

The team has been in Port-Au-Prince in Haiti since Thursday last week. We have a seasoned team with members who've lived in Haiti, traveled widely, and responded to many other emergencies. seasoned team with members who've lived in Haiti, traveled widely, and responded to many other emergencies. But this is my first time joining an emergency response.

My role on the team is communications - to send everything I'm seeing - back to all of you. To be a voice for Haitians who've lost everything, suddenly and with no warning. And to be the eyes, ears and heart for people who don't see this first-hand

I had plenty of time to think on the 8-hour plane journey to Santo Domingo. I've seen the photos on television like everyone else of people whose lives have fallen apart. Of kids who've lost their parents. Of people who've been badly injured. Of the mass graves.

The whole way my single question was: how will I react? How will I be able to process the terrible stories I hear? And the incredible suffering?

No comments:

Post a Comment